Oh dear, it seems I am carrying around so much emotions from the past. And, I don’t mean childhood past, I am doing that too, but from civilizations past. Understanding these archetypes and how they apply is ever so confusing.
It seems I am ego all the way though with a hint of soul type and I actually think the ego type is pretty awesome. So, I can tell people I am a soulful ego and I am sure they would not have a clue what I am talking about, but just shake their heads in wonder. Probably to polite to say “Yep, definitely an ego there!”
I remember attending a women’s retreat and we were to divide into four types; healer, teacher, warrior, mystic. I had decided I was a warrior, because the warrior defended, supported and lead the tribe. That was the type that spoke to me the most and as it was there were only two of us women out of 24 that felt to be warriors. So, I guess I haven’t changed much because Hero a.k.a. warrior is an archetype of the ego type.
Here is the psychological definition of archetype:
Archetype ~ A universal, inherited, primitive, and symbolic representation of a particular experience or object. In Jungian psychology, a collectively inherited unconscious idea, pattern of thought, image, etc., universally present in individual psyches. If you have long blonde hair, a sparkly ball gown, and a fairy godmother hovering over your head, you’re the archetype of a fairytale princess. You can find all of my psychological terms for the day here.
Click on link below to read about the different archetypes and see where you land or get a feel for the ones that speak to you.
What this means for you
- Archetypes represent some part of your unconscious
- Identifying your archetypes help to discover your motivations
- Understanding your motivations lead you to self-discovery
- Self-discovery improves your life
- Read about the different archetypes
- Pick two that resonance with you
- Think deeply or meditate on the two you picked
- Think about these archetypes as being you in your past, present and future
- Write down your feelings and thoughts about your two archetypes
As you work through the various archetypes you will feel some much stronger in your persona than others, delve deeper into their meaning in your life and discover a hidden you.
Additional reading on archetypes and theology: